- In this guide, you will learn how to obtain the app store keywords recommended by our Artificial Intelligence (AI).
How does our AI work?
Our AI comes up with your keyword suggestions using natural language processing and analysis.
It automatically analyzes the following areas:
- Your app search traffic
- Your competitor apps
(we find your competitors automatically)
- Your app metadata
- Keyword thesaurus
- Popular searches in App Store
- and many more …
Also, it intelligently excludes keywords that are:
- Having too low search traffic
- Too hard for your app to rank for
With this AI tool, you don’t need to do manual keyword research as in other ASO tools in the market.
- Our AI works best for the apps that have at least a few daily downloads during the past 30 days in the country you are targeting. Otherwise, there won’t be enough search traffic for analysis.
Okay, let’s get started to see how it works!
First, Review the Keyword Suggestions
The keyword suggestions are organized into three sections:
- Recommended Existing Keywords
These are the keyword combinations that your app is ranking in top 10 or likely to get into top 10. We recommend you keep using these keywords, especially those with higher search popularity.
- New Keywords
These are the keyword combinations our AI found through the search analysis of your app. Each keyword combination is assigned with a score to indicate how much we recommend it. Select the relevant keywords with higher score from here.
- Weak Existing Keywords
These are the keyword combinations that your app is not likely to rank in top 10. We recommend you stay away from these keyword combinations to save you some space.
- Select the App Store Market (i.e., Country) that you’re looking for keyword suggestions.
- Your goal is to make your app rank within top 10 of as many relevant keywords as possible. With this in mind, review the keyword suggestions in each section.
- Hit [Select your keywords] to go to Keyword Optimization.
Step 1 – Choose the Keywords in App Name & Subtitle
Here is what you will see in the Keyword Optimization tool:
It shows the keywords our AI recommends specifically for your app name and subtitle.
- Enter the keywords you want to include in your app name & subtitle respectively. When deciding the keywords in your app name, use the format brand name: keywords or brand name – keywords. For example, ‘Pandora: Music & Radio‘.
- Hit [Next].
Step 2 – Choose the Keywords for the Keyword Field
Here are the keywords our AI recommends for your App Store Connect keyword field. The best keywords are auto-selected.
- Deselect the keywords that are very irrelevant, unauthorized use of trademarked terms, celebrity names, or other protected words.
- In the Recommended Existing Keywords section, select the keywords that are marked with “Top 10 Candidate” and “Ranking in top 10“. Among them, priority should be given to those with higher search popularity.
- In the New Keywords section, select the relevant keywords with higher score if you have not hit the 100 character limit.
- Hit [Next].
- Your selected keywords are already optimized to make the most of the 100-character limit. For example, if you have selected apple juice, apple pie, and orange juice as keywords, only apple,juice,pie,orange will be included. It is because these four words are all you need to rank for the three sets of word combinations above.
- Some keywords might contain misspellings to cover commonly misspelled search queries. They are purposely included here to help increase your search traffic.
Step 3 – Copy the Keywords
Here are the keywords you have selected for your app name, subtitle, and keyword field.
- Copy the app name, subtitle, and keywords and use them in your App Store Connect app settings. App name and subtitle go to “My Apps > App Information“, while Keywords go to “My Apps > Prepare for Submission” under your App Store Connect website.
- When updating the App Store Connect settings, remember to choose the correct localization. e.g. English (U.S.) for the United States market, English (U.K.) for the United Kingdom, etc.
- Repeat all the above steps for each country you’re targeting.
- Once you have released a new app version with the new keywords, you can then keep track of the improvement on your keyword rankings by using Keyword Suggestions again.
So we hope this guide has helped you get to know how easy it is to select and track your app store search keywords suggested by AI.
And here are some bonus tips for you:
- After you have released a new app update with the new keywords, our AI will learn from what keywords you have actually used, and suggest a new set of better keywords for your next update.
- Through this cycle, you can stack up more downloads in every app update and work your way up to make your app a big success!
Have suggestions on how to improve this guide? Contact us!
Marcus is a tech entrepreneur & a father of 3 daughters.
He is the founder of Meatti, which helps mobile app developers increase app downloads using artificial intelligence.